Friday, June 11, 2010

Jet Airways

When getting on my new plane- I was quite taken by the business class seats I observed coming in- they looked like small chaises for a body to stretch out on- and included a bit of furniture and seating around. It looked quite comfortable. I of course had a cattle pass- so I found my seat in due process. At first I was elated to find that approximately one 1/2 hour or so later- that I had no seat mates- I was starting to get a glimpse of my future- and pictured myself splayed out over 3 seats- sleeping through the rest of the journey.but just as it was about to work out- along came a man that sat two seats down. My hopes dimmed- but still there was the middle seat- We could share!
I was suddenly realizing that this was going to be a very chilly flight indeed. I took up the extra blanket beside me, and had two on- thin cotton blankets- that didn't help me much. I had two men taking sidelong glances at me- I am sure I looked like an oddity on this flight. Especially traveling alone to boot. I didn't find any friendly faces- so hunkered down to suffer the rest of the journey. I managed to lay my head down for a bit- but soon the offering of a drink came, and when I brought my head up- a woman slipped in to the only resting spot that I hoped to hold on to. I was none too happy- frozen, alone, and mad that I lost that wonderful spot.I was also mad that I didn't have any fluids to replenish myself with. I had only two wee small cups of juice for the entire two flights combined. When the food came I grew more miserable- Indian food- my first real meal of it. I chewed willingly- just to get it down-knowing I needed sustenance- but truly didn't like it. Cramps were also piling in on me- and again I couldn't sleep. They sprayed some kind of awful talc powdery insense- if any of you know me- It is a miserable thing to have a scent spread around a cabin. I covered my head and nose with the blanket- and tried to manage the conditions the best I could. The man that had invited the woman to take the middle seat- talked and drank wine all night- he was a boisterous sort. I decided not to talk to him- unless spoken to. I decided he was a vexation of the spirit. Whether it was true or not, I don't know-but he was a loud, and brazen sort- and I didn't feel the need to get to know him any to better. My joints were screaming at me- especially the meniscus of my left knee- I took a melatonin pill and tried to settle in for a long night. I think I totalled about 2 hours- maybe. Miserable flight!
It grew more miserable as we tried to land- we circled around for about 1.5 hours- over the Arabian Sea- we were not given permission to land, and so had to wait it out. I read a book about India, and finished it. When we did come in- It was the bumpiest- scariest landing of my life- the clouds were really choppy, and we dropped fast and hard a couple of times - where my head was shooting towards the ceiling and my lap belt kept me in check. I was a little scared, to say the least. The whole plane gasped a few times- but no one screamed.
On arrival we had to go through customs- I didn't have a card that I was supposed to fill out- and had to leave and come back through the line- people were very comfortable telling me where to go- as if they knew- but really didn't. It was frustrating- I knew from the book that I read that this was common- that in India they really want to help- and that rather than saying they didn't know- would point in a direction, any way- this behavior was observed right away as they were sending me on wild goose chases to find the currency exchange spot- meanwhile I was trying to carry and wheel quite a bit of luggage, while bleeding heavily. Not fun.
I finally arrived in to the night sky- at around 2 in the morning- I glanced at all the hundreds of people with signs- trying to find the people they had come to get. I knew that I had a taxi waiting for me- but- didn't believe they would have waited for 2 hours, that I was late, and also- I knew that they couldn't possibly know where I actually had come out- not from Virgin Airlines, that is for sure. So I walked a ways- and decided to take a chance and ask someone that looked official- he said walk this way, he grabbed my luggage and led the way- pretty soon in the dark of night- I was headed to an area that was less busy, and less crowded- he made a phone call- I felt like all this was so sketchy- I felt very vulnerable. But, I had to trust someone- and this was either going to work- or I was going to have regrets. He led me to the side of an area that looked like an alley- sorta, and we waited all of 1 minute before someone he knew pulled up. He put my luggage in the taxi car- and opened the door and got in. He started speaking his language- and it almost seeme like they were arguing. I felt even more vulnerable- I pulled out some cash to pay him- 2.14 dollars/ 100 rupees. I knew this was actually quite a bit of money for him, from what I had read. He looked at me squarely and said $5. I said no, that will be enough. He started to say Ma'm were you happy with the services I provide you. I said yes- and thank you- that will be all you will receive. He backed down and left. I was on my way to the Mumbai Courtyard Marriott International Hotel- by golly I was getting there.
Soon we pulled in- we were greeted by guards with dogs that checked the whole car and contents over. And then we pulled through a gate. I had arrived safely. I did another exchange of money at the hotel, as the exchange guy only gave me two bills that were 100 rupees each. The rest I was to discover, were all 500's (about 10.68 per bill) I needed taxi tip, concierge tip, bell captain tip. etc.. I was also to go through a security check at the hotel where I was" wanded" in a dark little photo booth type of curtained area. It felt weird.
I was so tired. The only time I ever remember feeling as tired as this- was the night we arrived back from our wedding, having traveled 2000 miles plus, across the U.S from Cape Cod, Massachusetts- We lived in a town home in Breckenridge, Colorado. We had a trailer, with David's Harley and all our wedding gifts, luggage etc.. loaded. It was 2 in the morning, and on a sign post in the parking lot was a sign that said something to the effect of - retarring all of the driveways starting tomorrow at such and such a time. I was so exhausted and was just trying to make it home- we had to unload the whole trailer that night. I was not happy - and that was the same sort of exhaustion- only second to a few all nighter's in college, and the first few days in China, and my return flight with Ellison. I can't remember whether I slept that night- If I did it was probably three hours- because that seemed to be my pattern early on.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, Girl! You are on a mission...Much love and support is being sent your way from Arizona! Keep on writing...!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this is so eerily familiar. I remember the Mumbai airport. I can picture walking out onto the street and into the darkness. And all the cars waiting to pick up people. And the taxis. I am pulling for you. I am still sad that this has been such a struggle so far. Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Kimberly, this has been an insane trip for you so far, I'm so sorry. I hope you can REST soon. Thank you for your updates, we will all keep reading....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this has been a long and difficult journey for you, but you still make me chuckle. Give the man the $5...you left your chocolate bars in London!

    ReplyDelete